31 December, 2009

Looking back at 2009

It is somewhat traditional to look back over the year on New Year's Eve. Here are a few things that came to mind yesterday as I thought about 2009:
  • Lots of transition, mostly surrounding our move to Australia for home assignment. Change of country, house, schools, roles, and even time without children.
  • Our youngest began attending Pre-Prep or kindergarten 3 days a week. For the first time in 10 years, I've had regular child-free time.
  • Two new nephews born into our families.
  • Some answers about one of our sons.
  • First time in several years that we've been together with all our families.
  • Trip to Manila. As a result of dreaming about the future with our youngest heading off to school, I've been moving in the direction of writing and editing. The foreseeable future involves working with the editor of Japan Harvest, a magazine by and for missionaries in Japan. My trip to Manila was a definitive step towards that goal, attending a Christian magazine editing conference.
  • I began blogging this year. It has been an interesting foray into a different mode of communication with people who support us (and many who don't). My goal - to help people to see what a missionary's life is really like.
  • 40 is coming closer!
I guess my next post will have to be looking forward to 2010!

1 comment:

Tim and Susan said...

It's always good to look back over the year...and see all the transitions - stress - changes that God has faithfully gotten us through. The Aussie X-mas video was funny.