07 January, 2010

On the other side

Once upon a time I was a practising Occupational Therapist who loved to treat injured hands. Today I get to take my 10 y.o. son to be the client of a Hand Therapist who will treat his hand. I'm sure he's going to hate it. He somehow fractured the his little finger in a very tiny way on his class breakup at Movie World a month ago. He doesn't know how. He didn't even tell us he had some pain until more than a week later! Now it seems the finger has healed with a tiny fragment out of place and the finger is swollen and bent slightly at the final joint. Also known as Mallet Finger. The treatment - a splint for 2-3 weeks to straighten it out. Just before we go to an SU camp at the beach! Here's hoping it is waterproof! We're racking up the bills, though, Orthopaedic surgeon, two x-rays, Hand Therapist...so much fun. At least I don't have to travel to the other side of Brisbane to see this lady, she's only 15 mins down the freeway. Sometime I'm going to have to pack too...

No comments: