09 May, 2010

Mother's Day

Because Mother's Day is the same day in Australia and Japan, I'd just assumed it was the same all across the world. A friend/colleague's Facebook status has just taught me that that is incorrect. He also pointed me to Wikipedia's table of various country's designated dates. Amazing!

Having just mentioned here that cross-stitch is my hobby, I'm considering branching out a little. My sister gave me a card-making magazine for my birthday. I've made cards (very inexpertly) for a long time, as long as I can remember. But perhaps it is time to produce something more professional looking? It is an especially attractive hobby as it is relatively inexpensive, practical and greeting cards are hard to find in Japan.
Back to the Mother's Day theme - I made this card for my mum. Unfortunately we won't see her. However it is impossible to both do our job and be with our family on every special occasion - even while we're living in Australia (but in different cities).

I've already received one of my own made-at-school cards. I also went with my 5 y.o. to his Prep mother and child Mother's Day night on Tuesday evening. We had fun making craft together (no worries about who'd clean up the mess), eating and the kids performed a couple of songs for us as well as gave us a present. Lovely evening. Pity it came on the end of a crammed day, so I didn't have much time to appreciate it.

No comments: