29 July, 2010

Bedside tables

One thing about our life in Japanese that has annoyed me is the bedside table. We don't have a normal bed. Our mattress rests on ten large plastic drawers. It is a fantastic storage spot, particularly to store winter clothes. Especially good because storage is always an issue in Japan.

But because they are drawers I periodically want to access the drawer under my head - where a bedside table would ordinarily go. However a bedside table is essential for someone like me who rarely goes to sleep without reading for a little while at least. My bedside usually houses from two to ten books at a time!

For the last four years I've solved the problem by using this blue plastic box as a removable bedside table. It doubled as the ironing box (extra incentive to stay up-to-date with ironing once the lid wouldn't shut). Can you tell we've gotten good at solving storage problems?

Today we acquired something that is even closer to a real bedside table (left). It is plastic and easily removable, yet it has drawers, so it will be neater.

We found something for David too (right). He doesn't read as much as me, but he does keep his Bible and prayer material there. It was always a pile on the floor, which is annoying when it comes to vaccuuming.

Ah the bliss of setting up a home, especially with access to second-hand shops! Together these cost only about $10.

1 comment:

Hippomanic Jen said...

You are a very clever lady. Whenever I need storage solutions in the future I'll be certain to email you.