23 August, 2010

Hanging the washing out in Japan

Hanging your washing out in Japan is a little different too. Here is where I hung my washing out in Australia.

Here is where I hang it out in Japan.

I step out of my bedroom window onto this narrow verandah and hang the washing on these poles and ropes (poles are the traditional way, previous foreigners have left us these ropes as well).



Most of the washing is hung on plastic racks (third photo) with pegs attached. I load these up at the washing machine and haul them out here.

To be honest, I prefer the Australian way. There are just too many things to lift and climb here. I also don't like the idea of clothes, sheets and towels blowing against the dirty railings and building. But there ain't nothin' I can do about it once I've cleaned the railings as best I can.

One good thing is you don't spend much time outside in the blistering heat or freezing cold.

There are good things about this house too. Because our bathroom/laundry is almost on the top floor, I don't have to haul baskets of laundry up or down. It all stays up. It also has a lot of hanging space compared to our previous dwellings, so you don't have to worry about that occasional day where you have five or more loads to get through.

1 comment:

KarenKTeachCamb said...

That "surprise room" could make a great laundry drying room if it weren't for the ladder to get up to it!