02 August, 2010

Putting our roots down

This is the view when I walk out of my bedroom. On the weekend I spent some time outside braving the heat, humidity and mozzies (mosquitoes) to plant these flowers. With no front yard to speak of and only a tiny patch out the back, I felt some internal plants were the best thing. There is nothing like flowers in pots to cheer you up.

After seeing these, I turn left to head down the stairs and see the next view.

After I'd finished exerting myself I pondered the interesting fact that I'd done this less than 3 weeks after we arrived back in the country. We lived in Australia for 54 weeks without even going so far as to ponder buying pot plants. The only gardening we did there (in our new house with no garden) was to mow the lawn and pull weeds out of it.

Were we subconsciously not "putting our roots down" in Australia? Sounds a bit corny, but I wonder. When we got back to Australia we'd just "pulled up our roots" after four years of living in the same house. It had been painful. Arriving in Australia we knew that we planned to move back to Japan in 12 months (and thankfully God enabled us to do just that). I think it is quite reasonable to suggest that we tried not to put our roots down too deeply (not just in a gardening sense) in order to make the move back to Japan not quite so difficult. (Though it was difficult enough!)

No comments: