30 September, 2010

Disappointed with the medical profession again

I went to see a doctor today, underwent some unmentionable tests and was rewarded at the end with a whole lot of Japanese I didn't understand. To me it must have seemed obvious that I wasn't understanding what the doctor was asking or telling me. She didn't change through the whole consultation, though. She didn't alter her speed or the complexity of her words. It was only through some timely questions that I found out anything at all. I'm disappointed.

She possibly was too. The problem I consulted her about she had no idea of the cause and had nothing to offer me except the consolation that what I had wasn't fatal and would probably go away with time. Oh, and a bill.

I should say I've had a bad experience with this doctor before. She has an incredible workload - sees maybe a hundred patients at day at her private clinic. She totally multi-skills, jumping from one room to another, seeing another patient while you strip your clothes off for an examination! So she hasn't time for poor foreigners. Probably thinks, "If they're in my country, they should speak my language fluently!"

I think if I need to see this particular speciality again I'll be seeking a different clinic or hospital to attend. This particular patient prefers a little bit of consideration.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is definitely a prayer point that I will remeber to pray for-communication with doctors and patience for you on thier behalf

Tim and Susan said...

Yuck...I greatly dislike (I am trying not to use the word HATE here) dealing with medical stuff in Japan. No fun. No fun at all.

Sandy said...

That's so hard. Our little foster baby has been in the hospital in China for the last few days. My Chinese is at the beginner level but there have been enough people to help me so things are pretty clear. As a whole, the medical staff has been great.
On the flip side of that, I have worked with immigrants and refugees in the US for many year. Most hospitals have or will allow a translator. Can you get someone in with you?

Wendy said...

I cope most times, with a little consideration from the doctor. Trouble is I've been here eight years and had a fair bit of language study. I could take someone, but I usually do cope.

Two of our three sons spent time in hospital with pneumonia when they were very young. "Walking in China" I've been following your blog and really feel for you. At a time when you feel most vulnerable and out of control, it is terrible to struggle with communicating.