27 September, 2010

What is different?

 This morning at the gym I found myself wondering what a list of the differences between now and this time last year would look like.
  • We haven't driven anywhere further than one or two km as a family for over six weeks. This time last year we were driving a couple of hundred kilometres every couple of weeks.
  • I am the only one who has slept away from this house since we moved in in July. Last year at this time we were often away at weekends on ministry or family visits.
  • David is working at school from 7.30 am till 4 or 5 pm Monday to Friday. Last year we worked together, often on weekends, mostly in various churches. He was based at home during the week, studying as well as doing ministry meetings. Our schedule was incredibly varied.
  • I am eating lunch alone most days. Last year David and I ate most lunches together. In fact we spent a lot of time together - leisure and work both.
  • This time last year our boys were on two weeks school holidays. This year there are no long holidays in sight until Christmas.
  • The schools were gearing up for the last quarter of their school year. We're now having "Back-to-school" type events.
  • This week last year I flew to Manila for a magazine editing workshop. This week I'm a home-based mum who's writing, cooking, editing, going to prayer meetings, going to school as an 'Australian expert'.
  • Last year we spent a lot of our weeks either recovering from the weekend past or preparing for the weekend to come or both. This year we're spending our weekends recovering from the week just past.
  • Last year I lived in a one-story house with a backyard. This year my house is two stories with next to no backyard.
  • Last year I drove to the gym. This year I ride my bike.
  • Last year the seasons, school holidays and calendar events all lined up with what I grew up with. This year it is back to the seasons, holidays and calendar that I've learned over the last 4-10 years.
  • Last year we went to different churches nearly every Sunday (although there were a couple we went back to a few times). This year we're at the same church nearly every Sunday.
  • Last year I blended in at least externally. This year I don't.
I'm sure I could keep writing and writing on this topic. This isn't a good vs bad list. Nor is it a happy vs sad list. It is a list of differences. Differences we have, for the most part, gotten used to. I still don't like making my own lunch and eating it alone, however. I'm not even sure which I prefer - last year or this year. Both have their pros and cons.

But it is time to get the boys through the shower...enough time spent on pondering.

2 comments:

-J said...

I love this post. For me, taking time to make sure I'm aware of the differences always makes a huge difference in accepting them. If you don't mind I'm going to post a link to this. You do such a great job documenting real missionary life.

Wendy said...

Go ahead and link to it!

I'm glad for your last sentence - it is my main objective for this blog!