03 October, 2010

How could I forget the eggs?

I got to the end of last week and hadn't been to the shop enough times. I ran out of eggs and fruit on Thursday night and had to ask my husband to make a rushed trip to the shop so I could complete dinner. I wondered how this had happened. After all I do now have 35 free hours during the week without children in the house...what did I do last week?

A few things distracted me from grocery shopping, I think.

Firstly lots of rain. It rained steadily and heavily at times almost all of Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. I've been trying to use my bike for shopping, but the rain makes that a harder thing to contemplate. Driving isn't easy on those days either, with already skinny roads, pedestrians and bikes and poles to avoid, the rain brings out more drivers, so there are more cars to avoid too. You get the picture! Here is a photo of me after a bike trip to the gym and one of the grocery stores I frequent. I was wearing a raincoat well past my knees but my jeans are wet to above my knees with splatters higher than that! The next bike trip in the rain I wore my full-suit. Rain pants and a rain jacket, with hood. More inconvenient, but much drier result.

Next on my list of distractions comes my encounter with the medical profession. That took an emotional toll I wasn't expecting. In the days prior to going I went through a torrent of "is it a tumour?" worry. Add to that the unhelpful bedside manner of the doctor and I was pretty much emotionally worn out.

Wednesday I spent all day at a missionary ladies prayer (plus fellowship) meeting. It took us an hour in a car to get there and an hour to get home - some of which I was supposed to be navigating! That pretty much wrote-off (do I need to translate this?) Wednesday.

Whadya reakon? (translation: What do you reckon?) Is it acceptable that I forgot to buy enough eggs?

1 comment:

Faith said...

YES! YES! YES!

At our old house we were just a block from the Big A discount grocer. We must have been there about once a day. Now we're far away from any store. We DO have to think ahead. Sigh...