25 October, 2010

Not feeling homesick

I realised with a shock today that the contentment I've been feeling recently is not tinged with homesickness. I am not yearning to go back to Australia. In fact, if someone were to force me back there right now (for longer than a visit), I'd grieve for what I'd left behind.

I think this is relatively new. Most of the eight years I've spent in Japan I've had a degree of longing to be back 'home'. 

That doesn't mean that I don't miss my family, that I'd love to be cuddling my new nephew or that my Australian friends are no longer important to me. But it does mean that I'm enjoying the life I have here. I'm content and settled. I'm thriving on the various roles I have rather than enduring them.

This is good. And I'll keep praying that God will provide all the finance we need so that the rug is not pulled out from underneath us.

1 comment:

Tim and Susan said...

Thankful with you for that contented heart, that I often struggle with too. I think the longer we are here the more content we feel...but also the more God grows it in us.