11 October, 2010

Today is Japan's National Health and Sports Day

According to Wikipedia:
Today's Japanese national holiday was established in 1966 as a day on which to enjoy sports and cultivate a healthy mind and body. Originally held on October 10 to commemorate the anniversary of the opening ceremony of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, in 2000 it was changed to the second Monday of October in accordance with the Happy Monday System.
(The Happy Monday System (ハッピーマンデー制度 Happī Mandē Seido) was a decision by the government of Japan (in the late 90s) to move a number of national holidays to Mondays, creating a three-day weekend for those who normally have a five-day work-week.)
I thought it was amusing that my gym is closed today! 

So instead we're taking some more 'natural' exercise. A very large park north of Tokyo, Shinrin park. I'll take some photos and show you tomorrow. This is what it looked like last time we went there.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Darn, it went and posted early. Monday is the day. We're about to leave now!

Karen said...

I heard on the financial report at the end of the news last night that Japan's financial markets were closed due to a public holiday and I wondered what the holiday was for! I was hoping you might be providing an explanation...thanks!

Wendy said...

Glad I could be of assistance Karen!