18 November, 2010

The not-simple afternoon!

We usually try to keep things as simple as is possible in our family. Three excitable boys bouncing around the house is more than enough excitement for most days. After school, just trying to get one boy to do piano practise, one to do 15 minutes reading and the other to go to his room to do homework is enough for me most afternoons. My boys are way too perceptive, they're all minding each other's business and as a result it is very easy for nothing to get done.

Of course keeping things simple involves me not working outside the home outside of school hours and trying to do all my errands during school hours. 

In the "simple" realm, it didn't just rain, it poured today.

Firstly I had an Occupational Therapy consultation that started at 3.30 (when school finished). That was okay, David had play ground duty and so it slotted in quite easily for him to pick the boys up and take them home (the advantage of your husband working at the same school your kids attend).

Then earlier this week I'd arranged to go, with a friend, to a local framer to see about framing two of my completed cross-stitches. Because she has her own shop (stationary) and works during the time that I am most free, it was challenging to find a mutually suitable time. And yes, it worked out to be today at 5pm. So, after arriving home at 4.30 to supervise homework time and give instructions on how to finish putting together the meal that was cooking in the slow cooker, I raced out the door again at 5.10.

We spent nearly an hour sorting out frames and matts at the tiny framing shop. When I got home at 6.20, everyone was in the throes of eating Minestrone soup. 

Then it got even crazier. I'd barely said, "hello", when David's mobile rang. It was his mum who always has impeccable timing for calling! So I carried on eating and facilitating the meal - cutting apples for dessert etc. 

In the meantime our eldest son was wandering about (he'd finished eating), worrying because the phone call from his friend's mum hadn't arrived. He and his friend had carefully arranged for his friend to sleep over here tomorrow night. (I'm pretty impressed they've managed it, because neither of them have had a sleep-over before.)The only thing they forgot was to connect the dots - the mums! But he needn't have worried. Before David hung up, our home phone rang and I met his friend's mum. We chatted for about five minutes, but before I hung up David kissed me on the head on his way out the door. He had a meeting at school to attend at 7.

Then all I was left with was getting them all through their bed-time routines. Phew! What an afternoon/evening.

I'm sure life is going to get more complicated now that they're getting older. It is going to take some getting used to, though. For now I'm headed for bed myself.

No comments: