09 January, 2011

I forgot the turkey

We bought a turkey from the school a week before Christmas. It is a fund-raiser and service to the school community all wrapped up on one. A service, because whole birds for cooking are hard to find in Japan. We rarely see chickens or turkeys for sale. Lots of cheap chicken breasts, but not the whole bird. Therefore, because we like a roast every now and then, we ordered a turkey. However, because we were away for the entire week before Christmas, we decided not to cook the turkey for Christmas because we thought it would take only a few days to defrost the giant bird.

We were wrong about the "few days". It takes more like a week to defrost, so it would have been alright. I found out, though, because I've had the turkey in my fruit and veggie drawer since last Tuesday and when I hauled it out to cook it yesterday, the inside of it was still rock solid (top was squishy). Australians are more used to roasting chicken and lamb than turkey, at least this Australian is. So, I scrambled and found something else to pull together for the meal last night and planned to cook it this afternoon.

However after lunch, intent on talking with our eldest son about a significant issue, I raced upstairs to his bedroom with no thought of birds. After I floundered through that pseudo-counselling session, I debriefed with my husband in our bedroom where he was reading in the beautiful sun. A small step from there was to grab my own book and bit of sunlight and do some typical after-Sunday-lunch relaxing. 

I didn't emerge from my bliss until 3pm. And, as I boiled the kettle for afternoon tea, realised that the turkey still lurked in the basement of my fridge. 

Tomorrow I have meetings most of the day, so tomorrow is out. So, roast turkey is now slated for Tuesday. Phew - I'll be glad to get it out of that fruit drawer!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Good luck! Are you doing stuffing as well?

Wendy said...

Yes, got to do stuffing. But that isn't any different than a chicken.