06 February, 2011

Scary toilets

Toilets with a whole arm full of extra functions next to the seat are fairly common in the fancier places in Japan. Not too often do you see them with so much English. I've always been too scared to touch any of the buttons. 

Our eldest son has no such concerns, or he didn't. When he was 2 1/2 we were at a New Year's Eve party at another missionary's home. He toddled off to use the little boys room and all of a sudden we heard a shout. I dashed off, hoping to avert disaster and found a little boy held captive by a large font of water emerging from the toilet. The buttons were not anywhere near as clear as this toilet's buttons. I didn't know what to do, and ended up shouting. Finally the owner of the house came and rectified the problem. 

Our son has never again fiddled with unknown buttons on toilets.


And I've never felt even slightly tempted to experiment.

 

4 comments:

KarenKTeachCamb said...

Pretty impressive! And in Braille too. I can understand your apprehension about pressing buttons without lables you can read. I think I'd be cautious too. Thanks for sharing this tidbit of daily life. Fun.

Barbara said...

Well, other cultures, other customs *s*

Betsy de Cruz said...

That photo of the control panel for a toilet is really something! When I saw your title on the WOTH coffee girl list, I had something else in mind, like the "squatty potties" we have in Turkey. I guess you could find something like that only in Japan!

Wendy said...

We have squat toilets here too, usually in public places like parks, railway stations and shopping centres. Though they are ceramic and tiled, they usually stink badly. I've been to Indonesia and experienced their versions, so I do know how fortunate we are to be in Japan!