08 March, 2011

Chocolate chips say it all

Today I have so much swirling around in my head that it is hard to write anything at all! So I'm editing other's articles and getting on with catching up on various things that have been on hold while I "retreated" up on the mountain last week.

However, I do have a photo for you. This small photo shows a big difference between Japan and the western world. The size of chocolate chips - and just about any other portion that you can name (except rice). 

On the left is a Japanese chocolate chip. On the right is an American chocolate chip (and Australian chocolate chips are no smaller, if anything I've seen them bigger). The spoon is for perspective and is a teaspoon.

6 comments:

Helen said...

Wow, Wendy. ARe they, like 2mm diameter?

Wendy said...

Haven't measured, but probably 3-4mm. Tiny!

Wendy said...

And expensive!

Karen said...

That is just not big enough.
However, it may at least in part explain the obesity crisis facing Western societies....

Catherine said...

That's funny! They aren't into sugar as we are, are they? Good for them, I guess.

Wendy said...

Cath - no, they don't have as sweet a tongue as we do. I once taught a Japanese friend how to make Lemon Meringue pie - the kind based on Sweetened Condensed Milk. She halved the Condensed Milk because it was too sweet and then we couldn't get it to set! I was so embarrassed, because she then took the pie to the head of our son's kindergarten as a present!!