19 March, 2011

Settling back to a something like normal

Today has to be the most normal things have felt since last Friday morning. 

I didn't sleep well, shouldn't have checked email just before going to bed - Note to self - don't do that again! It wasn't that I got bad email, it just started my head spinning again about getting this next edition of Japan Harvest out. I had a good reminder tonight when I did our 5 y.o.'s nightly devotions with him. He was up to a story that focused on "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 I really needed to hear that. My husband was also a great reality check this morning. I came down to breakfast feeling as though I needed to achieve a whole world of things before lunch, but of course it wasn't true. He corrected my point of view and I got some balance back! Oh, and he cooked a scrumptious breakfast too. It is amazing how much better a day looks after breakfast.

Play area on the left, alas not a great photo.
The boys played beautifully for a while in their room, then, pretty predictably, they got ratty and we decided at about 11.15 to go out for a ramble. We went down to the flat place near the river - under five minutes walk from here. We kicked a soccer ball around and they explored the retaining walls (not the ones you see in the foreground of the photo, on the other side of the flat place between the spare ground and the houses). It was truly a beautiful day, we didn't need coats, gloves or scarves. In fact we needed sun hats and sunglasses! It got up to something like 20 degrees, we turned the heater off very early in the day.

After lunch I went to work on email and the internet, looking for stories, writers and so on. And made some good progress. Through the day I've managed to get two writers working on two different articles and getting the handle on another article that I'll be able to write myself. That makes a total of four articles up and running already.



Then I engaged in a different kind of productivity altogether. Baking. It is becoming a Saturday afternoon ritual - where I bake goods for lunchboxes and snacks for the week to come. Today I made brownies and chocolate Lego figures.
I washed up and made damper (an Australian non-yeast bread, something like soda bread) with, bacon and egg mini pies and veggies. One of the boys' favourite meals.

One of the joys of today was talking to David's mum on Skype and reassuring her we were okay. Also receiving an email from my parents saying they weren't worried about us. Missionaries and other expats here have been under a lot of pressure from home, brought about largely by the media. It has added an unnecessary level of stress to an already stressful week. I'm thankful we don't have that to deal with.

So you see, it was a thoroughly ordinary day. Such a balm to the soul. 

The only not-ordinary thing about it was that I am trawling through stories of horror and destruction. I guess in some ways an ordinary life at home helps me to distance myself somewhat from that, but that is somewhat necessary for a writer/editor to do. 

Tomorrow is Sunday again. We've been promised no power outages (unless there is an unexpected jump in power usage, which is unlikely on a Sunday). But better than that we get to worship our Lord who is truly the only unchanging, only reliable thing in this world (if I may call Him a "thing"). Truly He is worthy of our praise.

4 comments:

Shirley Corder said...

Thanks for your regular updates, Wendy. You are doing so well as a writer in this situation. I'm proud of you. I'm also relieved to hear your parents (both sets) are coping. I've been praying for them as I can't imagine how I'd be feeling if this was my daughter.
God is good!

KarenKTeachCamb said...

This post was really enjoyable Wendy. Isn't it amazing how God uses our daily devotions to help us stay on track and keep things in perspective. It never ceases to amaze me how devotional booklets written, edited and published months (and sometimes even years) before we read them (even dated ones) are so often spot on for where we are at, at the time that we read them. Our God truly is amazing and wonderful. So lovely to hear how David helped refocus your perspective for the day with a "simple" thing like cooking breakfast. Thanks again for your daily updates. They've help me keep perspective too!

Deb L said...

Great to hear about the blessings of ordinary days. God is indeed very good to his people. I was reflecting yesterday that it was providential that your retreat was scheduled this month before the earthquake. It might have needed to be cancelled if it had been scheduled for soon after the quake. But also, what a blessing to have had that time to renew and worship God before facing hard days and heavy work. Praise God!

Karen said...

Glad to hear things are settling back into a "new" normal for you. Hope it continues. Yesterday I was thinking much the same thing as Deb actually, it's great that you had that time of retreat and quiet before things were turned upside down...calm before the storm I guess. And hooray for Philippians 4:13, an excellent verse at all times but even more so for you right now. Continuing to pray...