14 April, 2011

Bird calls and the wearing of many hats.

In a recent reshuffle of cupboards (to store our new tent) we recently put all our CDs in our 11 y.o.'s room (we almost exclusively use our computer as the family music player - all our music is on it). This year he's become interested in more grown-up music and enjoyed playing a number of our CDs, many of which are "Gospel and Religious", like Michael Card, Steven Curtis Chapman, DC Talk etc. This week he found a different one. The Australian Bird Calls CD that my Dad gave us a number of years ago. Guess what the first bird is? Click the video here for the answer:
His brothers didn't know what what going on this morning when they started hearing that bird in our house. Of course we haven't heard it for nearly 10 months. We used to have a serenade on our way to school when we lived in Queensland last year. It was funny to watch them run into their room and slam the door! But it's also been nice to hear the birds echoing through our house. Our son claims it helps him to relax (which is a significant issue for him). I'm happy.

Most of the day I spent doing magazine editing jobs. I picked up the handbook I received at the Magazine Editing Workshop I attended in Manilla 18 months ago and found this in the first unit: "Editors work behind the scenes to put a magazine together. As they work, editors wear many "hats"."
Here are some "hats":

Director: I had to decide what theme and decide what articles to pursue.
Detective: I had to research to find articles and find photos to go with them. Discover new writers and seek other people to help me get this impossible mission done.
Teacher/coach: I had to help coach some writers along. I had to direct writers and editors towards the content and towards more excellent writing.
Janitor: I've had to "clean up" articles so that they shine.
Window designer: Haven't had much of this, but hopefully our cover designer will do a good job with the information I give him, so that people will want to "come in".
Traffic officer: I've had to keep the traffic moving smoothly so that everything gets where it needs to go. I've had to keep a careful watch on the progress of the magazine. This role has been challenging!
Business manager: Just a tiny bit of this, thankfully (I didn't even take Business Principles in Grade 9!) I've had to write a proposal the person with authority to give us permission to print more than double our usual print-run. And then I guess I'll take on more of a "marketing" hat as I try to find ways to get this out there and cover our costs. Anyone interested in placing an advance order?

And probably more. I've certainly had some sticky human-relations situations to deal with too!

What was fun was a meeting I had with my editorial boss today - we sat for longer than an hour under the Sakura Trees (Cherry Blossom Trees) at CAJ. Here is a tiny taste (but poor videoing, sorry).

Can you see how the ground is white (or a very pale pink) with the petals? They were falling down continually throughout our time out there. And the weather was perfect - no wind and balmy warm!

 So, I'm nearing the end of my part of pulling this Spring Edition off. Phew, that will be a relief!

No comments: