26 June, 2011

The ordinary isn't really ordinary after all

Well, our visitors are here and there really hasn't been time to sit down and write here. It is truly amazing how much of our "ordinary" life is interesting to them. Things that we just take for granted, take in our stride is of interest to them. 

For example, on the way home from church today we stopped by a Japanese bakery for a snack. For starters, David and I baulked at all nine of us dashing in to the shop at once. We just know how crowded Japanese shops are and nine foreigners (including five kids) dashing into a shop wouldn't be very friendly to those who are already in there. We did all eventually trickle in, but I left as soon as I could and secured a spot to sit. 

Then the produce available is quite different to an Australian bakery. For example: a French stick with a sugar cream in the middle; a slinky potato on a large kebab stick; a croissant with cheese in the middle, doughnuts with sweet bean paste; and pizza. Not only is it different, it is arranged differently. In Japan all the products are out on displays that you walk around and select what you want and put them on trays with tongs.

I've also found out that I walk fast . . . a Tokyo pace?

But I've run out of time to write. This is but a couple of examples of many things that have gone down over the weekend. More to come, but I regret that I cannot record more of what it going. There is just way to much of it and it extends from waking to falling asleep! 

If you're a praying person, we'd love to have your prayers that we'll have enough energy; that we'll all stay well; and that our kids will continue to get along well.

2 comments:

Tasmanian said...

I've just seen my first Japanese bakery - right beside Woolworths at Werribee Plaza?!

Deb said...

And, Tasmanian, isn't it odd that we worked out what the new bakery system at our local shops was by reading the blog of a missionary! Bizarre! But, thanks Wendy!