16 July, 2011

I cannot believe it . . .

I asked, "When will it end?" when I heard that yet another teenager within the wider CAJ community has died. He passed away suddenly this morning of a brain haemorrhage. As soon as I asked it, I realised that "it" won't end, not until this old world has passed away. The pain, imperfections, challenges, disasters, tears, sickness and death just won't go away.

This question was on my mind anyway, before we saw the electronic communications that informed us of the passing away of this young man who loved the Lord. It seems almost irreverent to speak of the struggles we've had today while knowing that the mother and father of this teenager is bereft of their youngest son.

Our sons haven't been fun to live with today, but at least we've had them. It has been difficult behaviour, grumpy behaviour, demanding behaviour and argumentative behaviour that has marred what should have been a fun family day out. But, again, this evening's news has put our own challenges into perspective.

How can one learn to be content in the midst of this imperfect life? I struggle just with my own imperfect self, let alone all the imperfect people and the imperfect world around me. How is it possible that Paul said what he did? 
Philippians 4:12  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. (NIV)
I guess the key is in the next thing he wrote: 
13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
I wish I could say, "Yes" wholeheartedly to this. But I have to honestly say, "Not yet. Still praying that I'll learn the secret . . . and sooner rather than later." 

Parenting, especially, is getting me down at present. I guess 11 weeks of our three particular collection of boys full-time at home could do that to you. But tonight, my prayers are with the parents, family and friends of the young man who died. May God give them the strength to make it through this.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your words, Wendy.

Karen said...

Sorry to hear your news Wendy, it has been such a tough year for you guys, hasn't it? Will keep praying for you. Hear you big time on the parenting getting you down, it's doing that here too....and I know there is more to come!... Anyway, hope things start to look better soon.

Catherine said...

Man. That's so sad. Come, Lord Jesus!