24 July, 2011

The "I can't waits"

Anyone else out there struggle with children who cannot control themselves when they "can't wait" for something? We usually have a fairly stressful December for this very reason.

Right now we have a bad case of the "I can't waits" (with less than 24 hours till we take of camping) and a chronic case of boredom. Bad combo!

One of our boys is particularly bad with boredom. It is unfortunate that he is the one for whom we couldn't find a summer program at the right time.To alleviate his boredom he resorts to inappropriate "entertaining". "Poking" and physically bothering others even when they tell him not to and often in sensitive spots. And generally wearing a very "I'm hard done by" attitude, with no initiate to seek more constructive ways to alleviate the boredom.

Another child tends to swing between extreme and inappropriate silliness and the sullen, stubborn grumps.

The third child ends up being a victim of the other two and acts the part very well.

Makes for a very unhappy family. The last couple of weeks we've hunkered down while my husband finished off an assignment and two of the boys did week-long tennis schools. Therefore I didn't plan much to do with the kids mid-week. My mistake. Now I'm paying for it. Actually we're all paying for it.

If we make it through the anticipation, packing up and driving bit tomorrow, I'm hoping that camping as a family will help to rectify the error. Eleven weeks is a long time to have these guys home, especially a 12 y.o.. I'm not terribly happy.

But I "can't wait" until we're out in the "bush" tomorrow. I've been looking forward to it for a long time . . . if only the boys would find some maturity and self-control and not wreck the experience. I'm praying.

No comments: