29 August, 2011

An Australian book at CAJ

Earlier in the year I wrote a post "complaining" that I struggled to find Australian biographies at CAJ. Well, in picking out books to read over the summer, I stumbled upon an Australian book. A Rose for the ANZAC Boys by Jackie French. Not a biography, per se, but historical fiction that combines the history of a lot of Australians (and New Zealanders) who lived early in the 20th century. 

And I loved it! The descriptions of ANZAC day to the voices of Australian diggers (soldiers), took me back "home". So different to reading an American book or even an British book.

When I stumbled on this sentence: "Stone the flaming crows, she's a flaming Aussie!", I knew I wasn't in Japan any more. Not that I'd use such language myself, but it sure does send one flying over the seas.

Jackie French is the author of that popular book, Diary of a Wombat. I didn't know she wrote anything other than children's books. But apparently she is a versatile writer, covering many genres and all ages and has written well over 100 books. This one is certainly well written.

A mark of good historical fiction, in my mind, is that you are taken in by the story (without too many characters to confuse) and yet you learn lots about the period it is set in.

In this case the story is from the perspective of a 16 year old New Zealand girl. She and her two brothers (one who's her twin) travelled to England when war broke out. Her two brothers enlisted and she was sent to a Proper English school. I knew that there were many soldiers who lied about their age at that time, but a 16 year old!

It gets even more incredulous when Midge and her two friends from boarding school cook up this scheme to do their bit for the war. Not staying at home knitting socks, either. They gather resources and contacts and go over to France to start up a canteen to feed the troops. 16 year olds! And yet, this is what many teenagers did do.

Most of the book is set in France, showing much of the horror that went on there, but in the context of a story and people's lives. Midge ends up losing her twin brother and a soldier she'd been growing attached to. Her remaining brother loses his leg. 

Ah, but I mustn't spoil the story. It has a satisfying twist or two at the end.

I especially like historical fiction that includes extensive notes at the back. In this case the author has included 26 pages of very helpful explanations.

I learnt that the armies back then had very little in the way of support staff. That meant that many volunteers were needed to feed them, medically tend to them, transport them and clothe them. And who was left to do that, but the women. Some officially through the Red Cross or other agencies, but many unofficially. Some left home to do it, others sent many things through the mail. Care packages were not just nice additions from home, they were essential.

And then what did these women do after the war was over? Many never married. Over 8 million men died and over 30 million were wounded during World War One. Also, after so much responsibility and autonomy, the women were understandably reluctant to slot back into the very sheltered lives they'd been expected to live before the war. So many went on to fight for the right to vote, for contraception, degrees for women, access to higher education, hospital reform and many other social reforms. We 21st century women have so much to be thank these women for.

This is not the first novel I've read set in those times. The Billabong series I mention way back here also covered the war in four its books, it was an integral part of the story. Through those books I got a sense of the tremendous long-term volunteer-ism that existed during WW1. None of this, "I've got a week or three spare". These women (and men) put their lives on hold until the end of the war (which lasted four years, by the way). 

I also got a close-up glimpse of the mental agony that the war caused. Both in those who saw and endured things people should never have to see, but also in the "not knowing" the fate of a loved one. And the poor communications, where people were presumed dead, but weren't or presumed to be POWs but were dead. Terrible stuff. I have to say, the Billabong books always make me cry. A Rose for the ANZAC Boys didn't, but probably that is because the characters less beloved to me than the Billabong ones, who'd become like family during the several books which came before the war-based ones.

I've raved on a bit. This really is a good read. Any CAJ folk out there who want to understand a little more about Aussies and Kiwis, go and get this book out of the library – I'm returning it tomorrow. And anyone else, I'd go find it in your local library too, it will give you an appreciation for our ancestors that you could hardly imagine.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I came across a number of these types of fictionalised accounts of Australian history while looking for some biographies for you. There are a couple of seriese as well.

Have the boys read the biographies I sent?

Ken Rolph said...

What did women do after the war? After the second big one they wore bikinis.

I've always supported women's rights!

Wendy said...

Mel, the best answer would be, "Yes they've read them and loved them". But the truth is they've only picked at them.

However your comment gave me an idea. We've just finished a Famous Five book at our reading time at the end of dinner and I wasn't sure what to read next. Now I know! It is a great way to get them into a book that they judge badly by its cover!