04 August, 2011

Lego mania

Our boys have been keen on Lego for ever so long. I think we gave our eldest his first Lego at four years of age and it has been a favourite toy ever since. So our younger boys have never known life without it! 

One of the cool things we've found in Japan is Lego shops or ClickBricks shops as they're called. There is one in Karuizawa, where we often go for holidays. But we've found one much closer – across the road from the Costco we visit every couple of months, only 45 minutes away! We stumbled upon it on Tuesday and the boys are all abuzz.


But the problem is that while they've been talking and enthusing about Lego, there isn't any big project going on. Nothing much that they're working on. To add to that there is a fair bit of boredom running around. I don't like being bored myself, so I can understand how they feel. Therefore, this morning I made a suggestion. I suggested that they build models for every letter of the alphabet, photograph them and make the photos into a book. 

It took a bit of time for everyone to finally agree on this one. One boy particularly had a completely different goal – to demolish everything and start making sets again. So he boycotted the proceedings for a while, but soon found himself bored. I chatted casually with him at one point and suggested that if he helped his brothers achieve their goal then they'd get there faster and he could do his thing then. "Great idea", he enthused and ran up the stairs. He hasn't looked back. 

It's been a great idea. Everyone can contribute. I haven't built anything (yet, though I've been invited), but I did take some of the photos. Our six y.o. wrote a list of intended objects and our 12 y.o. is planning to take the photos and add captions using the computer. Our middle son did some photography and they've all (including David) done some building.

They haven't finished yet, but here are some of their efforts. Can you guess which letter goes with which picture?









2 comments:

Deb said...

I think the first one is R for robot and rocket. The second one is L for log? I hope! 'Cause it looks like a bit of a worry! Is the next one I for ice and the last one F for flying saucer? Great holiday activity!

Wendy said...

Deb, you did brilliantly. 3 out of 4 correct. The last one is u for ufo.