07 September, 2011

Boys and hygiene

Boys and hygiene – the bane of anyone with boys!

In recent weeks we've had these scenarios (on top of the usual, "Did you wash your hands after using the toilet? No, then go back and do it.")

Our middle schooler who suddenly discovered soap! And that it cleared away the pimples that had gathered on his face. A new convert.

I discovered our middle son hadn't been using toothpaste for at least a week. I caught him brushing this morning with only water on his toothbrush.

The other night I was reading to the boys at the table after dinner when my husband asked to interrupt me. I anticipated he was going to ask a question about dessert, but instead he bluntly addressed one of the boys with, "You stink." Our son had had a shower already, but we dragged him back up there for a hair wash. No idea how long it's been since shampoo encountered his scalp!

Last week our oldest went to a sleep-over at a friends house after school. Actually, after cross-country training. When he arrived home on Saturday afternoon he began to complain he was itchy. Soon found out that no one had had showers the night before. I tell you, if I ever have a bunch of middle school boys over for a sleep over, I'm making sure they encounter water one way or another!

As a parent, there are lots of balls to keep in the air. Hygiene is something you teach not once, but repeatedly, for years and years. I've actually seen an older teenage boy wash his hands without being asked. So I believe that this will eventually come to an end. Ho boy, it won't be too soon!
 

4 comments:

Karen said...

I was going to blog about this...you've beaten me to it. I am hoping (praying) that a little girl might be easier in this department??

KarenKTeachCamb said...

I remember that issue on SU primary camps. Getting the boys into the showers was a real challenge. Fortunately it was easier if swimming was on the program, since at least they got wet that way, even if there wasn't soap involved. Hope this passes soon!

Wendy said...

Well as for "passing soon", I'm not sure. If this is standard boy behaviour until later teens, I've got at least 12 years left! Thanks for the positive thoughts, though KarenK.

Footprints Australia said...

Still working on the tooth brushing issue with Mr 17. At least he uses soap, shampoo and deodorant regularly now but it took YEARS of nagging!!!