17 October, 2011

The end of the season, cross-country season that is

Before we came to the Christian Academy in Japan I'd never heard of such a thing as a "Cross-country season". Footie season, yes. Cricket season, yes. But cross-country season, no! When I was at school you ran cross-country for your school sports team. Then if you did well you moved on to represent your school, and then it went on from there - city, region and eventually state if you were super good! But the idea of school teams running in several meets against one another over a series of weeks - nope! 

Anyway, Saturday was the last day of the season for middle school cross-country runners. I have to say I'm a little bit relieved. Missing out on my only sleep-in day, and spending most of our Saturdays at cross-country meets has taken its toll and we're feeling a little taxed in our household. It will be nice to have a few quiet Saturdays to ourselves.

And Saturday wasn't all that fun. It was wet. The kids ran hard, but it wasn't easy to keep your balance when the ground was muddy and slippery, so many of our kids didn't get the times they really wanted. But thankfully no major injuries that I heard of and nothing that a bit of washing and a shower wouldn't fix. 

However, standing out in the rain for a few hours watching kids slog away wasn't hugely fun. I am thankful we were able to have our car there, so when were were feeling too muddy or wet, we could retreat to there. And I am also thankful that the weather was warm, not cool. But I did hear one runner complain that it was too warm and humid to run happily!

I did get a surprise. At "The Shop" on base (with American food), my husband tore in at the beginning of the day (before the crowds and long lines) and bought two packets of these Lime-flavoured Corn Chips. I'd never seen lime-flavoured corn chips before my American friend recommended them a couple of weeks back. We enjoyed them last week as Nachos. My husband surprised me, though, with his purchase. I didn't realised he enjoyed them that much! I guess I'll be making Nachos again soon. Maybe on one of those lazy Saturdays I have coming up which start with a sleep-in?

No comments: