20 October, 2011

Tired but blessed in abundance

Yesterday and today I worked for over 12 hours (in total) at school with many others, setting up the biannual gigantic garage sale they call Thrift Shop. Tomorrow the 1 1/2 day sale begins. Friday is for PTA members only. On Saturday it is open to anyone and we always get a huge turnout. Needless to say this is the main fundraiser for the PTA.

My volunteering continues through the next two days. I'll serve at the registers.

For me, one of the attractions of serving at Thrift Shop is spending time with people. Catching up with friends and getting to know new people too.

Particularly in the first two days there is lots of opportunity to create your own working environment. With many different jobs on offer you could sort or price or fold or arrange or carry or supervise. You could work alone, in pairs or in groups. You could do the same job continuously or change frequently. You could sit or stand or walk.

But you can also become visually overwhelmed or have an ADD "attack" with all the distractions!

For me I love the variety. My personality is a bit split between extroverted and introverted. So I found myself alternating between 'lonely' jobs and people intensive jobs. I also get bored fairly easily, so the ease with which I can change jobs is fun.

But back to the people. I took some photos today of just some of the fun people I've been working with. These people I'm proud to also call my friends. Yes, missionaries are called to leave their family and friends, but God blesses abundantly. There are seasons of loneliness, but I gave to say I'm wallowing in a season of abundance at present!!!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hope it's a great couple of days and that lots of money gets raised! And that you find a few bargains yourself, maybe??