03 November, 2011

Japan photo #19 solved

Two days ago I posted a photo asking you what you thought it was. There were lots of guesses, but the "winner" is April who wrote this comment where I posted the link on Facebook:
"I can honestly say I've never seen anything like that before, so I'm going to guess. :)

My first thought was it holds the rice paddle, but upon further reflection that didn't seem right (hook is the wrong shape and what would the flat part attach to?). My next best guess is it hooks onto the side of the bowl (the pot inside the rice cooker) so that after washing the rice you can strain the water through this device."
Yes, it is to strain the rice before you cook it (Japanese wash their rice thoroughly before cooking). But it also strains noodles, spaghetti and vegetables. I've only had it for about 10 days, but I think my colander might be out of service in the future. This is so easy to use and clean. It's also cute! I might even slip it into my suitcase next time I come back to Australia.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Oh, clever! Do you have to be careful that it doesn't melt on the edge of a hot pot? I think you should bring a whole stack back (if they are cheap) to use in deputation. You could give them out as "prizes" for participation in presentations or meetings or simply as gifts to people who have you over to their house. If you do, can I have you over to my house???

Karen said...

What a cool idea...I'm with Deb :) I have a bit of a weakness for kitchen gadgets...

Deb said...

So that's two dinner invites already. Your schedule's filling up!