06 December, 2011

Joys, challenges, to-do lists, and nerves — all part of my current events

Here are ten "current events" in my life:


How can this little boy be my "size"?
1. I'm taking some time to digest the fact that I'm sharing clothes with my 12 y.o. son at the moment. He's almost the same height as me. But I saw him last night in his Wrestling "Singlet" and we are certainly not the same size . . . except in loose tracksuit pants (US=sweatsuit pants). He's wearing a pair of mine long designated to my winter PJ drawer. He's run out of PJs and these are working fine for him. I want all my boys to be taller than me (short men have issues!), but is still a bit of an adjustment in my head to have it actually happening to me.


2. I had the pleasure of a lady I was exercising next to at Curves today compliment the school on Saturday's Christmas presentation. I wasn't present, as it is more like torture keeping our boys quiet throughout. They can do it, but it just isn't any fun. Anyway, she couldn't hold back from telling me how wonderful it was, several times. But she did have one problem: why weren't they allowed to clap? I did explain a couple of times, in my poor Japanese and she seemed to understand, but said it felt very strange. The whole conversation left me feeling bad, though, as in the end her questions got to be too difficult for me to understand and I couldn't fudge it any longer. Her demeanor changed instantly and I was essentially dismissed, I guess she felt embarrassed and guessed that perhaps many of her words weren't understood after all. I felt so disappointed with myself.


3. I have an editor's challenge sitting on my desk. An article by someone who complained about how much I edited his article last time...unfortunately his style is wordy and academic and needs editing, so I have to grit my teeth and go at it. My next question about his article is whether it is the "how-to" article that he claims it to me. Do you think that outlining one's personal ministry plan that consists of a whole lot of definitions, a "how to" article?


4. My second editor's challenge is my boss. He seems to be drowning in other things and the deadline he set us for this issue to go to print — next Friday — is not going to happen. I'm struggling between feeling frustrated at him and trying to resign myself to that being his problem.


5. My editing joy for today is that we're working toward a new column in the magazine. One written by missionaries who've been on the field less than five years. I put out a request to just OMF missionaries today and already have one interested party. Again, the possibilities are exciting!


6. I've a bit of preparation to do. A 3rd grade Christmas party to plan (15th), a prayer meeting to prepare to lead (16th), an English Bible study (for language learners) to prepare (9th), and the Grade 1 Christmas in Australia presentation (8th).


7. Only eleven sleeps till we go away for our winter holidays for a week. Yay!


8. Almost all the Christmas presents are bought or made and we're almost ready to post our Australian present off.


9. I'm feeling rather nervous about our change of email address.


10. I'm reading a good book at the moment by John and Stasi Eldredge called "Captivating", definitely blog material when I'm done.

3 comments:

Helen said...

I read captivating years ago and didn't like it.

Wendy said...

What didn't you like Helen?

I'm not for everything. I don't like the way they assume every woman is significantly damaged goods, for example.

It's helped me to understand why I feel the way I do about some things.

Footprints Australia said...

As I was abused as a child, I found a lot of helpful info that really resonated with me, in the pages of "Captivating".

Sympathies on your "editing challenge". I have been told more than once that I "butcher" articles by their writers ... it's a fine line we tread! Praying for you for wisdom AND courage to ask for and make the changes necessary.

love Janet xxx