01 January, 2012

Looking forward to 2012

This afternoon while I was on the bed reading I heard some suspicious creaks in the house. I thought, Could be the wind, could be a tiny earthquake... After a short bit the creaks turned into groans and soon the whole house was jiggling and the intensity of the jiggles was increasing. The light overhead swayed on its electrical chord and I'm lying in bed thinking, How much bigger is this going to get?...and...how much longer is this going to go on for? For that is exactly how the big earthquake in March started. Slowly and quietly it crept up upon us, gradually increasing in intensity, and then it shook for quite a while. Some earthquakes start with a jolt and you have no time to react, quite different.


This afternoon it didn't get big enough to knock anything over nor to get me out of bed (but we've felt a lot of earthquakes now, so not much gets me out of bed). But it was a timely reminder that no matter what I plan or think might happen in the next 12 months, I really don't have much control over what actually does happen. No where near as much control as I'd like to think I have. We experienced too many unexpecteds in 2011 to believe that. 


However, that doesn't deter me from planning or looking forward to things. But, I do think it is best to add, "Lord willing" to all the below.


Looking forward to 2012, here are some things that I'd like to happen (or are planned for) this year for me/us:


• We visit Australia in July.
• Motorhome driving holiday to Uluru while in Australia.
• Increased professionalism of Japan Harvest (the magazine I'm an editor of) and increased responsibility for me there. (here I add Colossians 3:23-24 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.")
• More camping trips.
• At least one women's retreat and one mission conference.
• Another skiing trip with me to try out skiing next winter (hopefully I'll be injury-free) this time next year.
• Keep blogging daily.
• Keep going to the gym.
• My eldest child turns 13.


I guess I should have a writing goal here...how about try to get 12 articles published in magazines? That shouldn't be too out of reach, this year I had at least that many published, but that includes several in the magazines of which I am an editor, is that cheating? How about two articles in magazines in which I've never been published before, that is more challenging.

And here I need to add the verse that went out with our New Year cards today (like Christmas cards, but in Japan, people send out cards at New Year to greet friends, acquaintances, business associates etc. and they get delivered on New Year's morning):
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11 NIV
So I have hope. Even though 2011 held many things I didn't plan or want. It held pain and sorrow. It contained things that I regret. Even though these things happened, I still have hope. I still have a future that God has planned, and that is much better than anything I've planned.


Resting in him.




PS Don't forget the competition I have running. I've only had three entries and there are four prizes up for grabs. All you have to do is share a childhood memory of Christmas/New Year. Check this link for the details. You only have two days left to enter.

No comments: