10 February, 2012

"Why Does My Child Hate to Write?"

Every now and then my Occupational Therapy "hat" finds me. Strangely enough, at the moment, most conversations I have about this topic are sitting or standing with teachers at interschool sports events! 


One of the commonest questions I get is about students who have handwriting difficulties. I found this great article the other day that I wish every primary/elementary teacher would read. And it wouldn't hurt middle and high school teachers to take a look at it too. And every parent who has a child who can tell great stories, but cannot get them down onto paper.


It is written by a home schooling mum who's son has ADHD. She is great at thinking out of the box, so this article is full of ideas of ways to help and get around the difficulty of handwriting. It is a challenge for a teacher in charge of a whole classroom of kids, though. The default is to get kids to write. That is the easiest thing for the teacher, but not always the easiest thing for the student!

No comments: