20 May, 2012

Not quite what I expected . . .

Wow, interesting graphic. TAA was
an Australian airline when I was
a kid a few decades ago...
Well, I made it. Four trains, one plane, one bus, and a car ride and I'm here. It only took five and a half hours.

Accommodation
The "here" isn't quite what I expected. You see OMF has a guest home in Sapporo, and that is where I figured I'd be with ten or so other folk. However because of this training event, they are full-up. The overflow goes to the two apartments on the top floor of our Hokkaido Centre. That's me, and three others. When I was dropped off, I was the only person in this large three-storied building (which also contains offices, language school, and a large meeting room). So much space!

But I didn't really know what to do with myself. Generally my life is pretty full and there's always something to do, someone to prepare something for etc. But this afternoon I didn't really know what to do. I did have to go and shop for one, then bring it back and cook for just me.

I remember feeling like this with regards to school-day lunches when my last child started school two years ago. Now I've gotten into a groove with lunches. But dinner? Nooooo. It's been a very long time since I cooked a meal just for myself at dinner time.

Oh well, at least it will be quiet in the evenings so I can get some other work done (like magazine editing). We'll see how the week pans out.

Hokkaido impressions
My other impressions for today belong to Hokkaido. It is spacious, quiet, and somewhat bereft of people. I remember a friend who's lived in Tokyo for a long time saying that when we were up here for language refresher six years ago. I didn't really understand what she meant by, "Where's all the people?" But now I do. Especially now that I get out and about on trains in Tokyo more. You just expect lots of people in Tokyo. When there aren't people around, you get a bit concerned.

Gazing out the window of the bus from the airport to the city was wonderful. They actually have large paddocks here! And large areas of green grass that isn't park-land. Wow.

In the city, they have many more wide footpaths than Tokyo (US=sidewalks, UK=pavement?). And really, it looks a bit bare. I guess that comes from a Tokyo eye that is used to seeing so much squished into such little spaces. Sapporo also needs to leave room for the huge amounts of snow that they get. You've got to put it somewhere!

I'm thinking that central Australia in July is going to be a distinct shock for us. Probably very good for us, but shocking still.

So . . .
No boys to put the bed, no husband to spend time with, what shall I do? I do have a whole library to myself up here. Perhaps I shall read?


No comments: