08 October, 2012

Modern historical surprises

So, we're back from our adventure up north. It's getting late and I don't want to quickly brush over it, so I'll write about it tomorrow.

One thing we did find up there in the cabin we stayed in was a collection of National Geographic magazines. These ran from the early 60s to the mid 80s. I only pulled out about three and didn't look at them in detail, but it was definitely reading modern history. I guess it makes sense, but I was a bit sad to see an Australian writing as for an American audience, even though the audience of this particular magazine is quite international.

One issue had a large focus on Queensland, our home state. This was 1986, while Sir Joh was still the premier (sorry for you non-Aussies on this one — Sir Joh was quite a character and was in power for about two decades). It was interesting to read: Queensland has become a whole lot less conservative since those years! The author's impression of my hometown was interesting too. I wish I'd copied down his words, but they were something along the lines of "Toowoomba is English-like with its tree lined streets. Gentle rolling hills etc." Hmmm, really?

He also described Queenslanders as people with "raw honesty" (or something like this). Maybe that's my problem — I'm a Queenslander. However, that argument quickly goes south when I realise that I've been "in trouble" with other Queenslanders for my honesty.

In a 1963 magazine also focusing on Australia, there was an interesting aerial photo of Mt Isa. It looked like they only had about two bitumen roads back then. We drove through there twice in July and it certainly has come a long way in development since the 60s. This was pre-Opera house, so the Sydney Harbour photos were interesting. The best they could do on the Opera house was show a photo of a model of the building (that was in process).

I found the below advertisement in a 1973 magazine. I've posted it on my Facebook page and it's drawn some interest. I was just in the world when this magazine came out and I can't remember this particular piece of technology. My parents haven't handed one on to me, let alone them holding on to one to give their great grandchildren!



1 comment:

KarenKTeachCamb said...

I used to use one for Kenmore Baptist Youth Choir. All our backing tracks came on "reel to reel" tapes, and yes, we could cut and splice appropriate lengths of blanks tape in as required for narration, etc. I'm sure they've moved on with technology, but I defeinitely remember using one for several years in the early to mid 1980s! (And I was late teens to mid twenties when I did this.)