05 June, 2014

June Reflection: Hebrews 12:1-3

This is getting harder, doing this every month. Perhaps I should have picked a larger passage?

With less than four weeks left before we leave, I feel like we're headed into the centre of a tropical storm or an hourglass. We're gradually laying off responsibilities and moving towards the very defined goal of moving to Australia for a year. In the middle there (29th June for a very few days) there will be a quiet spot with almost nothing to do and no responsibilities except be ourselves and get ourselves on and off a plane. Then gradually the speed will pick up again, more responsibilities, more in our schedule.

In the midst of that I've stopped this morning to look at Hebrews 12:1-3 again.
The details on this flower are amazing. Though I get
overwhelmed, at times, by the details of our transition
I know the God who made this flower. If He cares so
much as to give this temporary flower all this detailed
beauty, I can trust Him to help me with all the details
in my family's life. Indeed I stand amazed at how things are
falling into place and can hardly not talk about it!
12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy that was set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

The below passage caught my eye this month. It has a similar meaning, but a different author. 

2 Corinthians 4:16-18
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen,since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
The Message version of the same passage:
16-18 So we’re not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There’s far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can’t see now will last forever.
I don't feel as though I'm going through particularly hard times, not compared to what Paul, the author, went through, nor many people in the world at this time. However, on the other hand, what we're doing isn't easy.

We're spending a lot of time on sorting out details. Details about this house, the house and furniture in Australia, the details about our jobs here, details about speaking opportunities in Australia, details about school here, and school there. Argghhh. Details aren't my brightest spot (despite being an editor).

It is good to keep some perspective by remembering that the things that bother us now, that we must attend to now, are only temporary things. That what we're really doing is aimed towards things that we can't see, that will last forever.

That doesn't excuse me from attending to the details, however. But it does give me hope. Jesus didn't get discouraged by the ugly details of living on this imperfect earth. Well, maybe he did, just a bit. But he didn't give up pursuing His goal of providing a way for salvation of all who believe in Him.

So, though I'm weary and at times want to give up and run away to hide in the "eye of the storm" between countries, I will follow Jesus' example. I will persevere through the ugly bits for the sake of the goal, of glorifying Him and encouraging others to do so also.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Wendy, I am so hearing you! In fact, this is what I have been doing these past few days. Running and hiding. Cancelling the bible study I lead, ignoring invites from friends. bunkering down in my little corner . Thanks for the reminder from the life of Jesus. Amen

Anonymous said...

I like the translation of Small potatoes lol:) compared to what is to come!