06 September, 2017

Vegetable Nut Crumble recipe

Last night I baked a vegetarian dish that I found when I was a poor newly wed. I haven't made it, as far as I can recall, since we've had kids. But I brushed the cobwebs off the recipe last night and made it. 
Everyone liked it, except for the fact that I added capsicum. But they're big enough that they don't really complain anymore, though I have plenty of immediate feedback. One boy jokingly called it a "sand casserole" because it looked a bit sandy on top! Two of them just picked out the capsicum and left it on the side of their plates. In any case, you can play around with what vegetables you wish to include in this dish. I didn't use cauliflower, merely because I didn't find it in the two shops I looked in. I used corn instead.

I posted about it on Facebook, and as usual, someone asked for the recipe, so here it is. It's not a hard recipe at all.

Rice base
I used three rice-cooker cups of rice for this (about 180ml). But adjust to your size family.
Vegetable stock cube
2 eggs

1. Cook rice in water with stock cube. (I used a rice cooker)
2. Combine rice and raw egg, mix well.
3. Spread over base of baking dish (I used a large dish for my hungry family).

Vegetable layer
50g butter
1 onion, chopped
1 capsicum (bell pepper/red pepper), chopped
broccoli (I used about 300g), chopped
200g cauliflower (I used about 150g corn), chopped
150g small mushrooms, chopped
1 can tomatoes, mashed
mixed herbs (whatever you've got, Italian-type herbs)
pepper
1 - 1 ½ cups grated cheese

4. Melt butter in frying pan.
5. Add onion, cook until soft.
6. Add rest of vegetables and cook until tender.
7. Add herbs and pepper.
8. Spoon vegetables over rice.
9. Spread cheese over vegetables.

Nutty Crumb topping
20g butter, melted
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 ½ cup mixed nuts, chopped (I used ½ cup of almond powder)

10. Mix together topping.
11. Spread evenly over everything else.
12. Bake in a moderate oven (about 180˚C) for 20 minutes, or until golden.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy, thanks for sharing the recipe - I was intrigued when I saw your post yesterday. Just wanted to clarify with the eggs and rice - are the eggs boiled / fried or raw when you mix with the rice? Thanks Andrea

Wendy said...

Yes, that's not so clear, it is. It is raw egg that you mix in with the rice. At least that is the way I did it.

Wendy said...

I edited it to reflect that and added the non-Australian word for capsicum.